(Spousal or Family)

AA Law Logo concepts v4_web_leaf.png

To immigrate to Canada under the Family Sponsorship Class (Spousal Sponsorship / Common-law Sponsorship / Grandparents Sponsorship), an individual must be sponsored by a close relative living in Canada as a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen. This is known as Family Sponsorship Class.

A Canadian citizen or a permanent resident can sponsor relatives or family members residing abroad if those relatives are:

  • Spouses, common-law or conjugal partners 18 years of age or older;

  • Parents and grandparents;

  • Dependent children, including adopted children (under the age of 22);

To sponsor a relative or family member a Canadian citizen or permanent resident must sign a legal contract with the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration that is called an Undertaking. The sponsor must also sign a Sponsorship Agreement with their relative that outlines their mutual commitments to one other.


Do you qualify for Sponsorship in Canada?

COVID-19 Updates 

Canada is still accepting sponsorship applications. Under family reunification, immediate family members are being given priority considerations.